Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Hoist

Hoist-Matthew Barney

"'Hoist' describes the encounter between the two central characters of the film; the so-called ‘Green Man’ and a fifty-ton deforestation Caterpillar truck under which he is suspended. Following the three acts of traditional film narrative, it is structured according to the three phases of description, situation and condition."-Destricted Website

I watched "Hoist" last night on the Destricted dvd. I found it extremely interesting because f the relation it forms around machines, humans and sexuality.

 It reminded me a story my grandfather used to tell me when I was younger. He was a WWII Veteran and his job was to be in charge of radio transmissions for 20 Churchill tanks. He used to explain the process with which they would hide the tank at night. They would dig a 4X3 meters wide and 2 foot deep space where the tank would sink in. The soldiers would sleep underneath the tank despite the danger of the tank crushing them.
I thought it was an interesting association concerning the relationships we form with machines whether it concerns life, death, war, getting off etc. 


This image of men (or a man in Hoist) underneath a machine just stuck in my mind.
Thought I would share it with you.


-Stavros Gangos

1 comment:

Flow said...

I love the story about your grandfather and the tanks. It's really poignant. Those little stories are really important for me anyway, as a way to really understand what your visuals are about.

See you tomorrow.