Thursday, November 27, 2008

Struggling with geekdom and other minor annoyances.

So, Stavros told me I must post on here, or else. So I am, because the thought of else scares me somewhat.

I have just realised it is 3.10 in the morning, which is my first disappointment.

My second is that I've spent about two hours trying to make a website, which validated perfectly fine in the W3C HTML validator (although granted only using Transitional DTD), display in both Internet Explorer and Firefox with anything approaching uniformity.

Now while I have achieved this I did have to cheat. For example, I had to use an align attribute in a table cell, which whilst being fine under 4.01 Transitional, is not the best coding ever. However, it was the only way I could get my table to center ([sic] all HTML and CSS is written with US English so you get things like center, color, and so on) in Firefox. Well actually I think I could of done it with CSS but it came to a point at which I couldn't give a shit anymore.

Now anyway, this brings me to my next Nightmare on Geek Street. The site is based on a myriad of nested tables. Why so sad? Well I'll tell you! Whilst trawling many forum things and whatnot, I saw one comment posted by a fellow in the same position as myself. In fact identical I think. It was when I read a reply which read something like "Well, if you are going to use tables for layout, you might as well use invalid mark-up code." Or something. Anyway, it was a complete hammer blow to my geek esteem.

It would seem since I was last designing websites, (admittedly at least 7 years ago) when nesting tables was common place and you slapped CSS on for a bit of color (just joking, colour) and style, the world has consigned people of my ilk to the dustbin of history. Either that or 're-education' camps where you knit barbed wire into fencing, with no gloves, to make sure you never inflict such retrograde coding on the internet again.

Anyway, long and short of it is, I now have to brush up my CSS. Then at some point in the future I will re-code this website for my project, and my personal website, so that I can avoid being 're-educated'.

However on the plus side, I validated my CSS style sheet with the W3C and it was fully compliant.

-Sean

P.S. In summary Stavros, this is why you shouldn't have made me post on this thing. See what you've done? Do you know how boring what I've just written is? Seriously?

No comments: